THE number of reported rapes in Spain increased by 28.4% in the first three months of this year, reveals official new data.
Figures released by the Interior Ministry on Thursday show a significant rise in ‘sexual assault with penetration’ from January to March this year.
Police received 371 complaints during the time period – an average of more than four a day.
Andalucia was one of the regions with the highest amount of rape reports.
Catalonia saw a total of 110 reports during the three months, Madrid received 62, while Andalucia recorded 41.
It seems more victims are coming forward in increasing numbers following the #Cuentalo and #Metoo movements.
It comes after the highly controversial ruling of the ‘wolf pack’ gang rape attack, in which the five defendants were cleared of rape for a lesser charge of sexual assault.
It triggered a Spanish and Latin American #MeToo movement, with women tweeting their experiences of sexual assault using the hashtag #Cuentalo, in solidarity with the victim.
During the three months, the report revealed a staggering 3,025 crimes against sexual freedom, such as rape and other forms of sexual violence.
This means reported cases saw an almost 14% increase from the same time period in 2017.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03