MALAGA’S Sierra de las Nieves natural park could have National Park status by 2019.
Isabel García Tejerina, Spain’s Minister of Agriculture and Fishing, Food and Environment announced during a visit to the park that she expects the draft bill to be presented to Congress before the year end.
It would become the 16th National Park in Spain and the third in Andalucía, along with the Sierra Nevada in Granada and Doñana which covers Huelva, Cadiz and Sevilla provinces.
The Sierra de las Nieves covers a hefty 20,163 hectares and includes the towns of Ronda, Lifa, El Burgo, Yunquera, Tolox, Ojén and Istán in the northwest of the region.
Tejerina said the new status is the unanimous wish of local residents and businesses as it will bring economic prosperity to the Sierra.
The Minister added that the government also plans to protect the Mediterranean cetacean corridor travelled by many species of whale and dolphin as well as bluefin tuna through a 12% expansion of marine reserves.
- 11 things you definitely didn’t know about Estepona, the garden of Spain’s Costa del Sol - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Spain’s top oncology scientist cures pancreatic cancer in mice giving hope for future human treatment - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14
- TREASURE HUNT: How foreigners helped Spain curate its top 10 most priceless artefacts - 3 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- After Lavapies was crowned Spain’s coolest neighbourhood here are the top 10 other hip hoods worth a visit - 29 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- 9 Spanish Christmas traditions you don’t want to miss this year - 25 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spain is least ‘culturally arrogant’ country in Europe but here are 10 reasons why you SHOULD say ‘Viva España!’ - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 18:00
- 10 things you may not know about Spain’s Michelin star chef Dani Garcia - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00
- More than 50% in Spain fear climate change is ‘threatening’ survival of human race - 2 Dec, 2018 @ 12:15
- Susana Diaz denies illegal funding of PSOE and refuses to apologise in fiery argument with PP - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:45
- Police officer ‘almost left blind’ receives 20 stitches after being smashed in face on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:01