FORMER Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal has secured his place in the second round of Wimbledon.
The current world number one made a smooth return to the grass courts, beating Israel’s Dudi Sela 6-3, 6-3, 6-2.
It is only the second time the Mallorquin has arrived at SW19 without playing any prior grass-court tournaments.
Admitting there was still ‘room to improve’ after his victory, he said: “After a while without playing on grass, it’s very important to start with a straight victory.”
He added a rare pop at the media who questioned his pre-Wimbledon absence.
He said: “If I play too much, then I come here, all the questions are: Why are you not playing less? Now I play less and the question is: Why are you not playing?”
Nadal faces Kazakhstan’s world 77 Mikhail Kukushkin in the next round.
- MONKEYING AROUND: All you need to know about Gibraltar’s mischievous macaques - 9 Sep, 2018 @ 15:00
- Mayor of Algeciras claims Spanish town is now ‘migrant crisis epicentre’ - 27 Jul, 2018 @ 12:11
- Ryanair staff working under a ‘terror regime’ as strikes continue to affect Spain - 26 Jul, 2018 @ 11:19
- This years Spanish Super Cup final is to be played in… Morocco - 25 Jul, 2018 @ 17:09
- Spain’s new PP leader seeks to move the party ‘back to its roots’ - 25 Jul, 2018 @ 14:08
- GET SET FOR CLEARING: University of Gibraltar’s top tips for those who don’t get their predicted grades - 24 Jul, 2018 @ 14:03
- 60 people had to be evacuated from their homes following fire in Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:19
- BREAKING: Firefighters called in to tackle blaze on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jul, 2018 @ 18:20
- Survivor of capsized migrant boat transferred to hospital in Spain - 21 Jul, 2018 @ 13:59
- Ryanair launches new campaign as passengers face flight cancellations in Spain - 20 Jul, 2018 @ 18:46