IT has been confirmed that Kepa Arrizabalaga will head to London to play for Chelsea.
Athletic Bilbao have announced on Wednesday that Kepa’s buyout clause of €71.6 million has been met and confirmed the 23-year-old goalkeeper’s departure from the Spanish club.
Kepa has played for Bilbao since 2004, advancing up the ranks from its youth setup to the main squad.
The Basque goalkeeper from Ondarroa is expected to fly to London to take the medical examinations and meet Maurizio Sarri, the manager of Chelsea.
With this new contract, Kepa has become the most expensive goalkeeper in history.
Alisson Becker trails behind in second with a buyout fee of €62.5 million for his transfer from Roma to Liverpool in July.
The transfer comes after Chelsea has been eager to find a replacement for Thibaut Courtois, the current Chelsea goalkeeper who has recently been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid.
- Princeton students reveal what it’s really like to work at the Costa del Sol’s Olive Press - 10 Sep, 2018 @ 21:57
- SPAIN’S ROBIN HOODS: Retracing the steps of famous Andalucian bandits who took from the rich and gave to the poor - 8 Sep, 2018 @ 15:00
- Caves of gypsies in Spain’s Sacromonte are home to all wanderers - 21 Aug, 2018 @ 09:00
- Vintage Warfare: Exploring the oldest foods in Madrid and Barcelona - 19 Aug, 2018 @ 17:00
- Visiting the tomb of Franco’s chief executioner in Sevilla, a city imbued with silent history - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 09:00
- PSOE to increase numbers of teachers in Andalucia - 12 Aug, 2018 @ 16:00
- Chelsea pays €71.6 million to Spain’s Athletic Bilbao for Kepa - 8 Aug, 2018 @ 14:38
- Costa del Sol tops the ranking for destinations with the best hotel offers - 2 Aug, 2018 @ 16:51
- Costa del Sol taxi drivers rally against Uber and Cabify - 28 Jul, 2018 @ 10:01
- The best official dog beaches in Spain’s Andalucia and Costa del Sol - 25 Jul, 2018 @ 17:34