AN expat mum has been arrested after forcing her child to marry a man in Morocco.
The 31-year-old Moroccan was arrested on August 18 after taking her daughter, 16, to the north African country, where she forced her to marry a 28-year-old man.
The sick mum was rumbled after the minor went to the Policia Nacional station in Estepona – where the family lives – and reported how her parents forced her to marry the stranger in the town of Kenitra.
It is understood her parents had reached an ‘economic agreement’ with the man and even bribed a local authority to allow the wedding to take place.
When the child tried to resist the nuptials, her parents threatened to leave her in Morocco and forbid her from continuing with her studies in Estepona.
The mother has been arrested for alleged coercion and ‘crimes against family rights and duties.’
She has been released on bail.
The teenager is with child protection services.
- SLOW TRAVEL: Run down your rev count in Ronda where slow travel is the new mantra - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 09:59
- FILTHY RICH: How the other half live when on holiday in southern Spain, from Saudi Royalty to British prime ministers and American billionaires - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 08:50
- PICTURED: ‘Shark’ spotted near swimmers on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:38
- Don’t miss the Bollywood and glitter themed pool parties at Max Beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:42
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02