THE Four Seasons is coming to Marbella in a bid to bring ‘more glamour’ and battle the area’s seasonality.
The luxury hotel chain will be built on the beach front with the first brick being laid as early as October 5.
It has been described by sources as a ‘huge project’ which will bring back some ‘glamour’ to the tourism hotspot.
It comes after a rise in loutish behaviour from boozed up tourists in the summer months has tarnished once upmarket areas like Puerto Banus.
The land is owned by Villa Padierna Hotels & Resorts and occupies 700 metres of beach.
The laying of the first brick will see a ceremony on October 5, attended by the who’s who of business and politics in Andalucia.
Junta president Susana Diaz, Four Seasons CEO J. Allen Smith and Marbella mayor Angeles Munoz will all be among the guests.
The luxury hotel will be the brainchild of architect Richard Meier and has been described by those involved in the project as ‘a marvel’.
It is scheduled to open in two years.
Much like its Miami and Dubai counterparts, the complex will include private residences as well as hotel rooms.
It is hoped it will kickstart a ‘new era’ in luxury tourism in Marbella.
Ricardo Arranz, President of Villa Padierna, who are partners in the project, said: “Marbella and Madrid need the glamour that these types of brands give.”
The Four Seasons will be the first in Spain, opening its doors by the beginning of 2019.
Arranz added that the residences on the complex will allow for the very wealthy to stay for up to two months at a time.
This he said, is very popular for the Arab and Russian markets, and will help ‘remove seasonality’, something the golfing market has ‘not been able to do fully’.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13