TWO BRITS were rushed to hospital after a house collapsed on an expat estate on the Costa Blanca.
One man was pulled through a downstairs window by police, after they cut the iron bars which trapped him at the crumbling apartment on the Laguna 3 Estate, Orihuela, south of Alicante.
Around 15 homes on the estate were evacuated and eight are said to be seriously affected by large cracks that have appeared in the buildings.
No one has been killed in the incident, which occured at around 8am, the local mayor Emilio Bascuñana has confirmed.
Bascuñana said: “They’re semi-detached duplex apartments. Fortunately there hasn’t been any loss of life or serious injuries.
“Two people have been taken to hospital, one suffering from a panic attack and another with superficial wounds including scratches.”
Fire service sniffer dogs were sent in to the building to confirm nobody else was trapped.
In dramatic images of the incident, furniture and ornaments can be seen teetering on the edge of a gaping hole in the side of the building, exposed by the collapse.
A Moroccan woman, known as Tisam said: “Four of the properties I know of that are affected are home to three British people and a Swedish expat.
“A lot of people were sleeping when the collapse happened. There was a huge noise around 8am.
“One of the Brits in the house that was the worst affected had to be brought out of a downstairs window by firefighters.
“The other man, a local bar worker called David, was upstairs and was taken away with shock.”
Residents told officials that work was going on at one of the houses affected, but Bascuñana refused to draw any conclusions about what caused the near-fatal disaster.
He also said: “The cause of the collapse will be investigated.
“The council will now try to rehouse all those people evacuated, in a hotel if necessary.”
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42