TWO BRITS were rushed to hospital after a house collapsed on an expat estate on the Costa Blanca.
One man was pulled through a downstairs window by police, after they cut the iron bars which trapped him at the crumbling apartment on the Laguna 3 Estate, Orihuela, south of Alicante.
Around 15 homes on the estate were evacuated and eight are said to be seriously affected by large cracks that have appeared in the buildings.
No one has been killed in the incident, which occured at around 8am, the local mayor Emilio Bascuñana has confirmed.
Bascuñana said: “They’re semi-detached duplex apartments. Fortunately there hasn’t been any loss of life or serious injuries.
“Two people have been taken to hospital, one suffering from a panic attack and another with superficial wounds including scratches.”
Fire service sniffer dogs were sent in to the building to confirm nobody else was trapped.
In dramatic images of the incident, furniture and ornaments can be seen teetering on the edge of a gaping hole in the side of the building, exposed by the collapse.
A Moroccan woman, known as Tisam said: “Four of the properties I know of that are affected are home to three British people and a Swedish expat.
“A lot of people were sleeping when the collapse happened. There was a huge noise around 8am.
“One of the Brits in the house that was the worst affected had to be brought out of a downstairs window by firefighters.
“The other man, a local bar worker called David, was upstairs and was taken away with shock.”
Residents told officials that work was going on at one of the houses affected, but Bascuñana refused to draw any conclusions about what caused the near-fatal disaster.
He also said: “The cause of the collapse will be investigated.
“The council will now try to rehouse all those people evacuated, in a hotel if necessary.”
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11
- WATCH: ‘Woman not wearing shoes’ sparks bloody brawl on Ryanair flight from UK to Spain - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:50
- Neighbours of British expat accused of murdering wife in Spain say he bugged phones and was obsessed with security - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 20:53
- Village in Spain ‘bewildered’ as Robin Hood mystery figure slides cash envelopes of up to €100 under doors - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 19:21
- Spain and rest of EU airspace closed to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft after plane crash in Ethiopia kills all 157 passengers - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 20:20
- ‘WE’RE HERE’: British expats on Costa del Sol re-launch Alzheimer’s and Dementia support charity shop - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 18:24
- Malaga judge rejects report from uncle’s lawyers claiming little Julen who died in well was killed by rescue worker’s pickaxe - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 13:39
- ‘SHE DIED IN 15 MINUTES’: Expat’s puppy in Spain had ‘seizures’ after drinking at famous lake in 4th fatal dog poisoning in week - 11 Mar, 2019 @ 17:54
- Six arrests in Spain as Guardia Civil seize 15,000 packs of cigarettes from Gibraltar that were sold in sweet shops - 11 Mar, 2019 @ 11:49