THREE goals in each half and five different players on the scoresheet, saw Sevilla destroy Akhisarspor 6-0 at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan in last night’s Europa League clash.
Sevilla’s European credentials showed, as the five-time Europa League champions dominated the Turkish side to move top of Group J with their goal difference of nine.
The Andalucian side have more Europa League titles than any other team, winning all five in the space of 10 years, their last in 2016 against Liverpool.
As well as it being Sevilla’s 100th victory in Europe, the win over Akhisarspor helps Pablo Machín’s men bounce back from their 4-2 La Liga loss to Barcelona at the weekend.
Sevilla, Spain’s oldest football club, have started brilliantly in La Liga this season, already beating Real Madrid 3-0, and are only two points behind league leaders and current champions Barcelona.
— Sevilla FC (@SevillaFC_ENG) October 25, 2018
The Andalucian side’s first goal came courtesy of a 25-yard Roque Mesa thunderbolt as the midfielder swivelled and shot, following a sublime flicked pass from his teammate Franco Vázquez.
Moments after Akhisarspor kicked off again, Sevilla’s Aleix Vidal was brought down in the box to win a penalty for his side, which was duly dispatched by Pablo Sarabia to make it 2-0.
Quincy Promes helped put the home side three ahead before half time, as his bicycle kick in the six yard box found its way past Milan Lukac at his near post, although it went down as an own goal for the Serbian keeper.
???? When your flick leads to this GOLAZO, you have to win Skill of the Day!
— UEFA Europa League (@EuropaLeague) October 25, 2018
A 35-yard strike from Luis Muriel into the bottom right corner provided Sevilla’s 4th, while Promes finally got his goal, as he finished from close range on the hour mark.
Five minutes later Gabriel Mercado was on hand for Sevilla’s 6th goal, as he took down a loose ball on the box and finished high into the out-of-position Lukac’s net.
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57