THREE goals in each half and five different players on the scoresheet, saw Sevilla destroy Akhisarspor 6-0 at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan in last night’s Europa League clash.
Sevilla’s European credentials showed, as the five-time Europa League champions dominated the Turkish side to move top of Group J with their goal difference of nine.
The Andalucian side have more Europa League titles than any other team, winning all five in the space of 10 years, their last in 2016 against Liverpool.
As well as it being Sevilla’s 100th victory in Europe, the win over Akhisarspor helps Pablo Machín’s men bounce back from their 4-2 La Liga loss to Barcelona at the weekend.
Sevilla, Spain’s oldest football club, have started brilliantly in La Liga this season, already beating Real Madrid 3-0, and are only two points behind league leaders and current champions Barcelona.
— Sevilla FC (@SevillaFC_ENG) October 25, 2018
The Andalucian side’s first goal came courtesy of a 25-yard Roque Mesa thunderbolt as the midfielder swivelled and shot, following a sublime flicked pass from his teammate Franco Vázquez.
Moments after Akhisarspor kicked off again, Sevilla’s Aleix Vidal was brought down in the box to win a penalty for his side, which was duly dispatched by Pablo Sarabia to make it 2-0.
Quincy Promes helped put the home side three ahead before half time, as his bicycle kick in the six yard box found its way past Milan Lukac at his near post, although it went down as an own goal for the Serbian keeper.
???? When your flick leads to this GOLAZO, you have to win Skill of the Day!
— UEFA Europa League (@EuropaLeague) October 25, 2018
A 35-yard strike from Luis Muriel into the bottom right corner provided Sevilla’s 4th, while Promes finally got his goal, as he finished from close range on the hour mark.
Five minutes later Gabriel Mercado was on hand for Sevilla’s 6th goal, as he took down a loose ball on the box and finished high into the out-of-position Lukac’s net.
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33