THREE goals in each half and five different players on the scoresheet, saw Sevilla destroy Akhisarspor 6-0 at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan in last night’s Europa League clash.
Sevilla’s European credentials showed, as the five-time Europa League champions dominated the Turkish side to move top of Group J with their goal difference of nine.
The Andalucian side have more Europa League titles than any other team, winning all five in the space of 10 years, their last in 2016 against Liverpool.
As well as it being Sevilla’s 100th victory in Europe, the win over Akhisarspor helps Pablo Machín’s men bounce back from their 4-2 La Liga loss to Barcelona at the weekend.
Sevilla, Spain’s oldest football club, have started brilliantly in La Liga this season, already beating Real Madrid 3-0, and are only two points behind league leaders and current champions Barcelona.
— Sevilla FC (@SevillaFC_ENG) October 25, 2018
The Andalucian side’s first goal came courtesy of a 25-yard Roque Mesa thunderbolt as the midfielder swivelled and shot, following a sublime flicked pass from his teammate Franco Vázquez.
Moments after Akhisarspor kicked off again, Sevilla’s Aleix Vidal was brought down in the box to win a penalty for his side, which was duly dispatched by Pablo Sarabia to make it 2-0.
Quincy Promes helped put the home side three ahead before half time, as his bicycle kick in the six yard box found its way past Milan Lukac at his near post, although it went down as an own goal for the Serbian keeper.
???? When your flick leads to this GOLAZO, you have to win Skill of the Day!
— UEFA Europa League (@EuropaLeague) October 25, 2018
A 35-yard strike from Luis Muriel into the bottom right corner provided Sevilla’s 4th, while Promes finally got his goal, as he finished from close range on the hour mark.
Five minutes later Gabriel Mercado was on hand for Sevilla’s 6th goal, as he took down a loose ball on the box and finished high into the out-of-position Lukac’s net.
- American football star caught jumping over bulls at Spain’s San Fermin as veterans SLAM festival as ‘TOO SAFE’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:30
- Young woman arrested after ‘stabbing man in face with fork’ in Gibraltar’s Ocean Village - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:02
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16
- Iconic castle on Spain’s Costa del Sol is FINALLY being repaired - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 09:14
- WATCH: Spanish school teacher’s vile RACIST rant at black British men on Spain train, calling them ‘monkeys’ and ‘f**king Africans’ - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 10:03
- Environmental group names and shames 19 Costa del Sol beaches as among worst in Spain - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:01
- Spain’s Government SEIZES former dictator General Franco’s €5 million summer palace over its ‘fraudulent’ sale - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- Jennifer Lopez to perform on Spain’s Costa del Sol for her 50th birthday - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Marbella mayor invites Barack Obama back to Costa del Sol to play golf - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 11:36