THIS is the moment a comet fragment turned into a fireball over Andalucia.
A piece of the Encke comet entered Earth’s atmosphere at more than 100,000km/hr.
According to the Astrohita Foundation, the fireball was visible from 400km away and was detected by observatories in Granada and Sevilla.
The fragment extinguished around 63 kilometers above the municipality of Pueblo Blanco in Almeria.
Astrohita said ‘the luminosity was so unusually high that nighttime in the southeast of Spain turned into day for an instant.’
- PICTURED: ‘Shark’ spotted near swimmers on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:38
- Don’t miss the Bollywood and glitter themed pool parties at Max Beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:42
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16