POLICE across Spain will intensify their roadside spot-checks from today until Sunday, the Directorate General of Traffic (DGT) has announced.
The ramping up of the blood alcohol and drug tests come as driving under the influence is expected to surge in the run up to Christmas.
Some additional 20,000 tests will be carried out every DAY this week, on all types of road.
Pere Navarro, general director of the DGT, said: “The objective of this type of campaign is to make citizens aware that not only is alcohol incompatible with driving, but other drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, amphetamines and opiates are psychoactive substances which are lethal behind the wheel “.
Some 26% of drivers killed in collisions last year tested positive for illegal alcohol blood levels.
Punishments for driving under the influence
- The Road Safety law states those driving while over the legal alcohol limit will be fined €500 and lose four points from their licence.
- If it is the second time within a year or the driver tests positive for double the limit allowed, they will be fined €1,000.
- Drivers who test positive for drugs will be fined €1,000 and lose six points from their licence.
- The punishment does not include medications which have been prescribed by a doctor
- Police can impose higher fines or take away your licence if the alcohol or drug rate is particularly high (above 0.6 milligrams per litre).
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27
- IN PICS: Saudi tycoon’s HUGE €200 million yacht arrives on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 13:59