POLICE across Spain will intensify their roadside spot-checks from today until Sunday, the Directorate General of Traffic (DGT) has announced.
The ramping up of the blood alcohol and drug tests come as driving under the influence is expected to surge in the run up to Christmas.
Some additional 20,000 tests will be carried out every DAY this week, on all types of road.
Pere Navarro, general director of the DGT, said: “The objective of this type of campaign is to make citizens aware that not only is alcohol incompatible with driving, but other drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, amphetamines and opiates are psychoactive substances which are lethal behind the wheel “.
Some 26% of drivers killed in collisions last year tested positive for illegal alcohol blood levels.
Punishments for driving under the influence
- The Road Safety law states those driving while over the legal alcohol limit will be fined €500 and lose four points from their licence.
- If it is the second time within a year or the driver tests positive for double the limit allowed, they will be fined €1,000.
- Drivers who test positive for drugs will be fined €1,000 and lose six points from their licence.
- The punishment does not include medications which have been prescribed by a doctor
- Police can impose higher fines or take away your licence if the alcohol or drug rate is particularly high (above 0.6 milligrams per litre).
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14