POLICE across Spain will intensify their roadside spot-checks from today until Sunday, the Directorate General of Traffic (DGT) has announced.
The ramping up of the blood alcohol and drug tests come as driving under the influence is expected to surge in the run up to Christmas.
Some additional 20,000 tests will be carried out every DAY this week, on all types of road.
Pere Navarro, general director of the DGT, said: “The objective of this type of campaign is to make citizens aware that not only is alcohol incompatible with driving, but other drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, amphetamines and opiates are psychoactive substances which are lethal behind the wheel “.
Some 26% of drivers killed in collisions last year tested positive for illegal alcohol blood levels.
Punishments for driving under the influence
- The Road Safety law states those driving while over the legal alcohol limit will be fined €500 and lose four points from their licence.
- If it is the second time within a year or the driver tests positive for double the limit allowed, they will be fined €1,000.
- Drivers who test positive for drugs will be fined €1,000 and lose six points from their licence.
- The punishment does not include medications which have been prescribed by a doctor
- Police can impose higher fines or take away your licence if the alcohol or drug rate is particularly high (above 0.6 milligrams per litre).
- HAMMING IT UP: Andalucia’s award-winning jamon stars at Oscars after-party - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33