SOME 3,500,000 British passports could be classed as useless if the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal, it has been revealed.
It comes after the Government warned that Brits need at least 15 months left on their passports in order to visit countries in the Schengen Area in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
An investigation by consumer organisation, Which?, revealed that 3.5 million British passports ‘won’t comply’ with no-deal passport requirements, according to the Home Office.
Editor of Which? Travel, Rory Boland, said: “People will be shocked to hear that they could be turned away at airports and prevented from going on holiday – even when their passport is valid for another 15 months.
“As this potentially affects the travel arrangements of millions of people, the Government and travel companies must urgently up their efforts to ensure holidaymakers have clear and accurate information – so that no-one is left stranded at the departure gate.”
The UK Foreign Office’s newly updated advice says passports with as much as 15 months validity left will not be accepted.
“If the UK leaves the European Union with no deal, the passport validity rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change from 29 March 2019,” reads the FCO guidelines.
“Some passports with up to 15 months validity remaining may not be valid for travel.”
Brits travelling straight after Brexit in March, for example, would need to have a passport which is valid until at least June 2020.
An amended Brexit deal is set to be voted on next week.
MPs will vote on the revised deal on Tuesday, with just 64 days left until the March 29 deadline.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03