MINERS are now just centimetres away from little Julen, the two-year-old boy who fell down a well in Malaga on January 13.
They have now excavated 3.15 of the roughly 3.81 metres which stands between them and the boy.
It comes after a hard rock, or quartzite, delayed the team by blocking their path yesterday.
Experts had to be drafted in to carry out a series of controlled explosions to break up the rock and clear a path.
A crack team of eight Asturian miners have been going down a vertical shaft running parallel to the narrow borehole in teams of two since Thursday evening.
More to follow…
CORRECTION: A previous version of this article stated the team of miners had ‘excavated 3.15 of the roughly 3.18 metres which stands between them and the boy’, it has been corrected to 3.81 metres
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10