MINERS are now just centimetres away from little Julen, the two-year-old boy who fell down a well in Malaga on January 13.
They have now excavated 3.15 of the roughly 3.81 metres which stands between them and the boy.
It comes after a hard rock, or quartzite, delayed the team by blocking their path yesterday.
Experts had to be drafted in to carry out a series of controlled explosions to break up the rock and clear a path.
A crack team of eight Asturian miners have been going down a vertical shaft running parallel to the narrow borehole in teams of two since Thursday evening.
More to follow…
CORRECTION: A previous version of this article stated the team of miners had ‘excavated 3.15 of the roughly 3.18 metres which stands between them and the boy’, it has been corrected to 3.81 metres
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25