ALL eyes are on the eight heroic men whose efforts to reach Julen Jimenez Rosello, 2, are being broadcast globally.
It has now reached 31 hours since the miners began their rescue mission.
With the fourth explosion carried out successfully, the team is returning down the tunnel to complete the tunnel.
Flown in from Asturias – one of the most prominent mining regions in the country – the eight specialists are part of the Brigada de Salvamento Minero de Hunosa,
The body, founded in 1912, was created to act as an emergency response when miners suffered accidents.
It is the same organisation which famously helped 33 Chilean miners who were stuck underground in 2010.
Led by Captain Sergio Tunon, the other rescuers are technical engineer Antonio Ortega, Adrian Villarroel Fernandez, Jesus Alfonso Fernandez Prado, Lazaro Alves Gutierrez, Maudilio Suarez, Jose Antonio Huerta Lamuno, and Ruben Garcia Ares.
The eight men are working in pairs, apparently taking it in turns to be lowered into the well for 40-minute shifts.
Crawling on their hands and knees the men are digging by hand in cramped and dangerous conditions, wearing oxygen masks.
They are currently digging a horizontal tunnel to reach little Julen with less than a metre left.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03