THE huge fire which engulfed a Marbella beach club has been extinguished.
Flames erupted at Playa Padre chiringuito at around 7pm this evening.
Several fire trucks, Policia Nacional and other emergency staff rushed to the scene next to the Puerto Deportivo Marina La Badajilla.
The flames were mostly put out by 8.30pm.
Police told the Olive Press at the scene: “Four fire engines attended a fire at Playa Padre chiringuito after receiving emergency calls at around 7pm this evening.
“We do not yet know how the fire started.
“The flames are believed to have begun in the middle of the club before spreading throughout the rest of the establishment within minutes.
“The club, consisting of three buildings, was made of highly flammable material, mostly wood with straw roofs.”
Police are not yet treating the site as a crime scene.
A security guard is believed to have been on duty but left the scene unharmed when the flames erupted.
The club, which employs around 50 people, was due to open during Semana Santa and is owned by well known Marbella businesswoman Maria Bravo.
It opened in the summer of 2017 with a star studded event attended by Hollywood actress Eva Longoria.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27