THE huge fire which engulfed a Marbella beach club has been extinguished.
Flames erupted at Playa Padre chiringuito at around 7pm this evening.
Several fire trucks, Policia Nacional and other emergency staff rushed to the scene next to the Puerto Deportivo Marina La Badajilla.
The flames were mostly put out by 8.30pm.
Police told the Olive Press at the scene: “Four fire engines attended a fire at Playa Padre chiringuito after receiving emergency calls at around 7pm this evening.
“We do not yet know how the fire started.
“The flames are believed to have begun in the middle of the club before spreading throughout the rest of the establishment within minutes.
“The club, consisting of three buildings, was made of highly flammable material, mostly wood with straw roofs.”
Police are not yet treating the site as a crime scene.
A security guard is believed to have been on duty but left the scene unharmed when the flames erupted.
The club, which employs around 50 people, was due to open during Semana Santa and is owned by well known Marbella businesswoman Maria Bravo.
It opened in the summer of 2017 with a star studded event attended by Hollywood actress Eva Longoria.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40