DRAWING hearts in the sand could land tourists in prison, the Canary Islands Government has warned in a beach vandalism crackdown.
Graffitied stones, crosses made out of volcanic rocks and a smiley face carved into a cliff face, are among the activities to be criticised by environmentalists.
The Maspalomas sand dunes on Gran Canaria are part of a protected area, but tourists have desecrated the natural surroundings with their ‘works of art’, according to green groups.
One organisation, the Telesforo Bravo-Juan Coello Foundation has backed tougher punishment for the tourists whose behaviour they say, is an ‘abuse to the environment’.
A government spokesperson said: “The Cabildo of Tenerife wants to express its condemnation towards this type of act against one of the main environmental and tourist patrimonies of the island.”
Perpetrators could be fined up to €600 or face prison, while visitors to the island will now have to get written permission before visiting the island.
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08
- Open date REVEALED for ‘deliberately torched’ Marbella chiringuito originally opened by Eva Longoria - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:28
- REVEALED: 10 new UK to Spain flights run by airline Alba Star announced - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:40
- Rick Astley joins Enrique Iglesias, Take That, Mel C and Liam Gallagher at Gibraltar Calling festival THIS SUMMER - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- Woman held on suspicion of bludgeoning her sleeping dad to death and knifing mum in back on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 11:55
- American football star caught jumping over bulls at Spain’s San Fermin as veterans SLAM festival as ‘TOO SAFE’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:30
- Young woman arrested after ‘stabbing man in face with fork’ in Gibraltar’s Ocean Village - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:02
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16