DISNEY Studios is fishing for filming locations for the highly-anticipated live action remake of The Little Mermaid.
The production company is officially in talks with Axarquia and Mallorca, with film bosses in both locations sending their best proposals.
Disney asked the Axarquia Film Office to pitch its best coves, castles and caves.
The cinematic body has included in its pitch La Cueva de Nerja (Nerja Cave), Cueva del Tesoro (Tesoro Cave), the Velez-Malaga Fortress, Bezmiliana fortress and the Marques de Valle Niza.
Other locations offered up include Maro, La Cala, Torre del Mar, Almayate, Chilches, Benajarafe and Torrox.
Tourism spokesperson Juan Peñas said: “The importance of Disney, one of the most powerful studios in the film industry, showing interest in the region of the Axarquía and running as a possible candidate to host the recording of some scenes of this production is fantastic.”
The vice president of the Commonwealth of Municipalities of the Costa del Sol Axarquia added that ‘this opportunity has happened thanks to the Axarquia Film Office being part of the Network of Cities of Andalusia Film Commission’, which works tirelessly to attract international and national filming projects to the region.
Meanwhile, Disney has also shown interest in using Mallorca to film scenes of the new live-action version, rumoured to hits screens in 2021.
A request was received by the Mallorca Film Commission from the American cinema giant, asking to use the caves and rocks of the Balearic coast.
Oscar-nominated American director Rob Marshall, who worked on Mary Poppins Returns and Pirates of the Caribbean, is thought to be the film’s chosen director.
Meanwhile, fellow Disney favourite Zendaya, has been strongly linked to play the lead role of Ariel, as has Bella Thorne.
The script for ‘The Little Mermaid’ will be by Jane Goldman and the soundtrack will be written by Alan Menken.
Filming could begin as soon as next year.
- British boy, 5, who drowned near Spain’s Costa del Sol was visiting expat granddad - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:48
- REVEALED: Spain to have ‘warmer than average’ summer with Costa del Sol among hottest areas - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:26
- ‘WE’RE BEING POISONED’: Video of ship billowing black fumes ‘onto people’s homes’ outrages Gibraltar residents - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:43
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38