DISNEY Studios is fishing for filming locations for the highly-anticipated live action remake of The Little Mermaid.
The production company is officially in talks with Axarquia and Mallorca, with film bosses in both locations sending their best proposals.
Disney asked the Axarquia Film Office to pitch its best coves, castles and caves.
The cinematic body has included in its pitch La Cueva de Nerja (Nerja Cave), Cueva del Tesoro (Tesoro Cave), the Velez-Malaga Fortress, Bezmiliana fortress and the Marques de Valle Niza.
Other locations offered up include Maro, La Cala, Torre del Mar, Almayate, Chilches, Benajarafe and Torrox.
Tourism spokesperson Juan Peñas said: “The importance of Disney, one of the most powerful studios in the film industry, showing interest in the region of the Axarquía and running as a possible candidate to host the recording of some scenes of this production is fantastic.”
The vice president of the Commonwealth of Municipalities of the Costa del Sol Axarquia added that ‘this opportunity has happened thanks to the Axarquia Film Office being part of the Network of Cities of Andalusia Film Commission’, which works tirelessly to attract international and national filming projects to the region.
Meanwhile, Disney has also shown interest in using Mallorca to film scenes of the new live-action version, rumoured to hits screens in 2021.
A request was received by the Mallorca Film Commission from the American cinema giant, asking to use the caves and rocks of the Balearic coast.
Oscar-nominated American director Rob Marshall, who worked on Mary Poppins Returns and Pirates of the Caribbean, is thought to be the film’s chosen director.
Meanwhile, fellow Disney favourite Zendaya, has been strongly linked to play the lead role of Ariel, as has Bella Thorne.
The script for ‘The Little Mermaid’ will be by Jane Goldman and the soundtrack will be written by Alan Menken.
Filming could begin as soon as next year.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22