A STATUE of the Spanish king that the buyer ‘must burn’ has gone on sale for €200,000 in Madrid.
Whoever buys the 4.5m-tall royal effigy will be forced to sign a contract committing them to burn it within 12 months.
The piece, titled ‘Ninot’, is described as a ‘hyperrealistic’ depiction of King Felipe VI of Spain.
It is currently being displayed at the 38th Contemporary Art Fair at Ifema in the capital.
The towering statue features the Spanish monarch in a blue suit and gallery staff even periodically spray it with Hugo Boss ‘Dark Blue’ cologne.
An internal structure of polyurethane, cardboard and fabric inside the king’s body will reveal a skull protected by fireproof material, once it is set alight.
Once the burning is carried out, in a ‘in a private and legal place,’ the owner will only get to keep the rights to the video of the event.
Santiago Sierra and Eugenio Merino, both known for their controversial art, are behind Ninot.
Sierra said he intended to represent ‘what Trump lacks, his head,’ with Ninot, and joked that he hoped his critics ‘would not hit him’.
Previous edgy art by the pair includes a statue of General Franco in a Coca Cola fridge (Always Franco, Merino, 2012) and a video work of black and white people having anal sex (The Penetrated, Sierra, 2008).
- Death of British teen in Spain who was third to die at same apartment block ‘could have been prevented’ - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- OH MY GOGH: Gun Van Gogh ‘killed himself with’ to be auctioned off while southern Spain tour of his work continues - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 12:30
- CASTING CALL: Netflix needs male and female extras in Spain’s Andalucia for new drama series - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 10:57
- POSH: Brits Victoria and David Beckham jet into Spain’s Andalucia for celeb wedding of year catered for by Dani Garcia - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:54
- WATCH: Shocking moment bullring volunteer in Spain gored to death in front of 2,000 fans as bull ran back into pen - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 12:52
- Facial recognition cameras installed at Gibraltar Airport - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00