A STATUE of the Spanish king that the buyer ‘must burn’ has gone on sale for €200,000 in Madrid.
Whoever buys the 4.5m-tall royal effigy will be forced to sign a contract committing them to burn it within 12 months.
The piece, titled ‘Ninot’, is described as a ‘hyperrealistic’ depiction of King Felipe VI of Spain.
It is currently being displayed at the 38th Contemporary Art Fair at Ifema in the capital.
The towering statue features the Spanish monarch in a blue suit and gallery staff even periodically spray it with Hugo Boss ‘Dark Blue’ cologne.
An internal structure of polyurethane, cardboard and fabric inside the king’s body will reveal a skull protected by fireproof material, once it is set alight.
Once the burning is carried out, in a ‘in a private and legal place,’ the owner will only get to keep the rights to the video of the event.
Santiago Sierra and Eugenio Merino, both known for their controversial art, are behind Ninot.
Sierra said he intended to represent ‘what Trump lacks, his head,’ with Ninot, and joked that he hoped his critics ‘would not hit him’.
Previous edgy art by the pair includes a statue of General Franco in a Coca Cola fridge (Always Franco, Merino, 2012) and a video work of black and white people having anal sex (The Penetrated, Sierra, 2008).
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06