A GROUP of locals and expats have launched a campaign to save the oldest tree in Malaga.
El Castaño Santo is around 800 years old but it is plagued by disease and is ‘dying from stress’.
The chestnut tree, in the Sierra de las Nieves natural park, needs decking to protect its roots.
A petition has now been launched to have the tree, near Istan, declared a ‘natural monument’.
Green group Istan Ahora, which launched the campaign, said: “We encourage all readers of the Olive Press to visit El Castaño Santo and sign our petition to have it registered as a monument.
“It is also a beautiful place to go hiking, with an idyllic setting in which to disconnect from the madding crowd and fully enter nature.”
The group insists the tree, which sits on private land, is being badly affected by thousands of hikers visiting it each year.
“Visitors walk over its roots and prevent it from breathing and absorbing the water it needs.
“Another major problem is that it is affected by the plague of ‘gall wasps’ which make it increasingly weak and defenseless.”
Visit the Istan Ahora Facebook page for updates and tips on how to help.
- British boy, 5, who drowned near Spain’s Costa del Sol was visiting expat granddad - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:48
- REVEALED: Spain to have ‘warmer than average’ summer with Costa del Sol among hottest areas - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:26
- ‘WE’RE BEING POISONED’: Video of ship billowing black fumes ‘onto people’s homes’ outrages Gibraltar residents - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:43
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38