GIBRALTARIANS have been left fuming after Ronnie O’Sullivan ridiculed the Gibraltar Open snooker competition.
In an online post the five-time world champion said: “I’d rather sleep in a pig sty than have to go and play in the Gibraltar Open.”
He later added: “The Players are the last to get thought of on the circuit. The conditions and venues are very poor.”
But dozens of Gibraltarians and those living on the Rock hit back at O’Sullivan, with many calling him a ‘pig’.
Bill Pisani, the admin of Gibraltar group ‘Speak Freely’, said: “What a t***, let him go and sleep in a pig sty then.”
Another member of the group, Signora Bauti said: “Shame on you Ronnie. You should use Steve Davies’ example. He was a real English gentleman when he visited sunny Gibraltar!”
Gibraltarian, Norbert Nicholas Sene added: “No wonder you want to sleep in a pig sty Ronnie, that’s the place you call home.”
The tournament, held at the Tercentenary Sports Hall was won by Stuart Bingham who scooped £25,000 in prize money.
The Welshman and 2015 world champion beat Ryan Day 4-1 in the final on Sunday.
Bingham said: “I’m over the moon. I played well from the off, so it was great to keep it going all the way through the weekend.”
- Tourism companies in Spain SLAM Government plans to - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49