GIBRALTARIANS have been left fuming after Ronnie O’Sullivan ridiculed the Gibraltar Open snooker competition.
In an online post the five-time world champion said: “I’d rather sleep in a pig sty than have to go and play in the Gibraltar Open.”
He later added: “The Players are the last to get thought of on the circuit. The conditions and venues are very poor.”
But dozens of Gibraltarians and those living on the Rock hit back at O’Sullivan, with many calling him a ‘pig’.
Bill Pisani, the admin of Gibraltar group ‘Speak Freely’, said: “What a t***, let him go and sleep in a pig sty then.”
Another member of the group, Signora Bauti said: “Shame on you Ronnie. You should use Steve Davies’ example. He was a real English gentleman when he visited sunny Gibraltar!”
Gibraltarian, Norbert Nicholas Sene added: “No wonder you want to sleep in a pig sty Ronnie, that’s the place you call home.”
The tournament, held at the Tercentenary Sports Hall was won by Stuart Bingham who scooped £25,000 in prize money.
The Welshman and 2015 world champion beat Ryan Day 4-1 in the final on Sunday.
Bingham said: “I’m over the moon. I played well from the off, so it was great to keep it going all the way through the weekend.”
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58