BRITAIN has been offered an extension to Brexit up until May 22, but only if Theresa May’s withdrawal deal gains the support of Parliament on a third meaningful vote next Tuesday.
If May fails to secure MPs approval, the EU yesterday offered an extension only up until April 12 after eight hours of intense debate.
The two intervening weeks will be a period for May to make plans that would avoid a no-deal Brexit, which the House of Commons voted against last week.
EU Council president Donald Tusk said he expected the ‘‘United Kingdom to indicate a way forward,” meaning that culpability of leaving without a deal would fall upon Britain.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said to reporters in Brussels: “We are at a critical moment in European construction. History will judge the events of the coming weeks.
“Spanish citizens in the UK and British citizens in Spain must know that the the Spanish government is ready for a disorderly exit.”
He added that a disorderly exit was not the preferred outcome, but added that negotiations now ‘depend on the British government’.
The meaningful vote next Tuesday will be the third time May’s draft withdrawal deal has been put before MPs.
It was previously rejected on January 15 by 432 votes to 202.
The second meaningful vote took place on March 12, and was voted down by 391 to 242.
- WATCH: Videos pour in as ‘gota fria’ drenches Javea and Denia on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 00:52
- Marina Alta on RED ALERT as heavy rains cause flash floods along Spain’s Costa Blanca - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 00:05
- ‘Level 1 emergency’ declared as largest Easter storm in 73 years hits the Costa Blanca - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- Health Agency issues warning that Dutch cookies containing CANNABIS are being accidentally sold to children across Spain - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- Diver resuscitated after suffering heart attack off coast from Javea on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 00:18
- BREAKING: Foreign Office issues warning to Brits as strike set to hit EVERY Spanish airport this Easter - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:24
- Spain’s first two-headed floating wind turbine expected to become ‘lowest cost solution’ for renewable energy far from coastline - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- Handler strike to affect ALL of Spain starting Easter Sunday - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 21:41
- British Pensioner followed by car for over an hour before attackers stole his €35,000 Rolex on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:53
- British man, 72, who tried to kill sleeping stepson with hammer jailed in Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:08