THE first attempt at breaking the Brexit deadlock has failed after MPs failed to find a majority on any future withdrawal plan.
MPs voted on eight alternative options including a second referendum and revoking Article 50, with a customs union option coming closest to a consensus.
This comes after Prime Minister Theresa May promised her fellow Conservative MPs that she would step down if they backed her Brexit deal.
The Prime Minister made the dramatic announcement during a meeting of Tory backbenchers in a desperate bid to get the backing of Eurosceptics.
May said: “I have heard very clearly the mood of the parliamentary party. I know there is a desire for a new approach – and new leadership – in the second phase of the Brexit negotiations, and I won’t stand in the way of that.
“I am prepared to leave this job earlier than I intended in order to do what is right for our country and our party.”
- Political leaders set for TV debate ahead of Spain’s election - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:57
- WATCH: Spanish Legion on the march as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil near Ronda - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:59
- IN PICS: Clouds clear as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil de las Bodegas - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:41
- PICTURED: Female squaddie accused of ‘glassing’ army pal in the throat at Magaluf club - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 13:13
- Rival footie fans launch ‘Benidorm or Bust’ charity race to Spain in aid of teenage cancer battle - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:25
- Expat sprayed with ‘devil’s breath’ date rape drug on Spanish island and forced to empty bank account - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 11:11
- Easter travel chaos in Spain avoided after pilot strike called off - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 19:28
- Spain pledges support for Paris in wake of Notre Dame inferno - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 11:57
- FLIGHT CHAOS: Travel strikes across Spain mean HUNDREDS of flights cancelled over Easter - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- International experts unlock secrets of ancient ‘Stonehenge’ in southern Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 15:42