SPAIN has been accused of ‘hounding’ a senior British MEP after he insisted Gibraltar is not a colony.
Claude Moraes has claimed Spain is behind a ‘systematic’ attack aimed at getting him to back down over Gibraltar.
Spanish MEPs allegedly view the Labour MEP as a ‘stumbling block’ after he repeatedly blocked EU legislation that described Gibraltar as a colony.
Moraes said: “The inclusion of this footnote on Gibraltar was a political act which is now being defended by 27 member states and the commission in an unprecedented way.”
The row came to ahead yesterday when the Labour MEP was asked to step down as the EU Parliament’s rapporteur by the chamber’s speaker, Antonio Tajani.
Moraes said: “For five weeks the pressure has been systematic, the attacks in the Spanish press have been very brutal, very personal, and consistently so.”
The veteran MEP has insisted Spain was behind the attempt to force him out of the key role.
He said: “There has been pressure by all the political groups in the European parliament with Spanish members.
“There have been meetings where I have been attacked systematically – it has been an intimidatory atmosphere.”
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57
- Search called off for woman who fell overboard on luxury Spain cruise to Mallorca - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 13:00
- WATCH: Police in Spain free women held captive in Costa del Sol 24 – hour basement brothel - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 12:53