SPAIN has been accused of ‘hounding’ a senior British MEP after he insisted Gibraltar is not a colony.
Claude Moraes has claimed Spain is behind a ‘systematic’ attack aimed at getting him to back down over Gibraltar.
Spanish MEPs allegedly view the Labour MEP as a ‘stumbling block’ after he repeatedly blocked EU legislation that described Gibraltar as a colony.
Moraes said: “The inclusion of this footnote on Gibraltar was a political act which is now being defended by 27 member states and the commission in an unprecedented way.”
The row came to ahead yesterday when the Labour MEP was asked to step down as the EU Parliament’s rapporteur by the chamber’s speaker, Antonio Tajani.
Moraes said: “For five weeks the pressure has been systematic, the attacks in the Spanish press have been very brutal, very personal, and consistently so.”
The veteran MEP has insisted Spain was behind the attempt to force him out of the key role.
He said: “There has been pressure by all the political groups in the European parliament with Spanish members.
“There have been meetings where I have been attacked systematically – it has been an intimidatory atmosphere.”
- Political leaders set for TV debate ahead of Spain’s election - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:57
- WATCH: Spanish Legion on the march as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil near Ronda - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:59
- IN PICS: Clouds clear as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil de las Bodegas - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:41
- PICTURED: Female squaddie accused of ‘glassing’ army pal in the throat at Magaluf club - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 13:13
- Rival footie fans launch ‘Benidorm or Bust’ charity race to Spain in aid of teenage cancer battle - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:25
- Expat sprayed with ‘devil’s breath’ date rape drug on Spanish island and forced to empty bank account - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 11:11
- Easter travel chaos in Spain avoided after pilot strike called off - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 19:28
- Spain pledges support for Paris in wake of Notre Dame inferno - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 11:57
- FLIGHT CHAOS: Travel strikes across Spain mean HUNDREDS of flights cancelled over Easter - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- International experts unlock secrets of ancient ‘Stonehenge’ in southern Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 15:42