RESIDENTS of a town in Andalucia have set alight and shot an effigy of Carles Puigdemont, the ex-president of the Catalonia region in Spain.
Townspeople in Coripe, Seville attacked the model of Puigdemont which was dressed in the Catalan flag and adorned with a yellow ribbon – a pro-independence symbol.
The traditional ‘Burning of Judas’ ritual has been celebrated in the area for 100 years, but videos of the incident caused controversy on social media.
“Today in a town in Spain, governed by the PSOE, they decided to shoot and burn a doll that looked like me, and that wore a visible yellow ribbon.
“They did not want to shoot and burn me, they wanted to mock the struggle for freedom of prisoners and exiles,” said Puigdemont.
The mayor of Coripe, Antonio Perez, dismissed the controversy as ‘satire’ and has justified the decision to make a Judas doll resembling the former Catalan president.
Perez said the tradition of the festival was to create a figure ‘that represents evil and the thing that is killed is evil.’
- AND THEY’RE OFF: Expats across Spain head to the polls - 26 May, 2019 @ 15:34
- OPINION: The shock verdict that sees Westley Capper and Craig Porter ‘walk free’ is an insult to Agnese Klavina’s family - 25 May, 2019 @ 13:00
- ISIS video threatens tourists in Spain after death of British ‘punk rock jihadi’ - 24 May, 2019 @ 14:45
- ‘I HAVE DONE MY BEST’: Tearful Theresa May resigns as UK Prime Minister - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:57
- British woman dies on UK-bound flight at Mallorca airport moments before take-off - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:29
- Judge allows convicted British criminal to go on Spain holiday after taser and cocaine bust - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:56
- Mystery buzzing leads couple in southern Spain to 80,000 bees in their bedroom wall - 21 May, 2019 @ 10:58
- British toddler badly hurt in cliff fall after ‘slipping from mother’s arms’ at Mallorca beach - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:38
- British holidaymaker drowns off Costa del Sol while swimming at popular expat beach - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- British father fights for life in Spain after fall onto Costa del Sol motorway - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:11