RESIDENTS of a town in Andalucia have set alight and shot an effigy of Carles Puigdemont, the ex-president of the Catalonia region in Spain.
Townspeople in Coripe, Seville attacked the model of Puigdemont which was dressed in the Catalan flag and adorned with a yellow ribbon – a pro-independence symbol.
The traditional ‘Burning of Judas’ ritual has been celebrated in the area for 100 years, but videos of the incident caused controversy on social media.
“Today in a town in Spain, governed by the PSOE, they decided to shoot and burn a doll that looked like me, and that wore a visible yellow ribbon.
“They did not want to shoot and burn me, they wanted to mock the struggle for freedom of prisoners and exiles,” said Puigdemont.
The mayor of Coripe, Antonio Perez, dismissed the controversy as ‘satire’ and has justified the decision to make a Judas doll resembling the former Catalan president.
Perez said the tradition of the festival was to create a figure ‘that represents evil and the thing that is killed is evil.’
- DAYLIGHT ROBBERY: Crackdown sees nearly 20% of Palma’s terraces closed, leaving Mallorca expat owners struggling to make ends meet - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:32
- OPINION: War on Terraces - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:30
- Toddler fighting for her life after swallowing ecstasy in Spain’s Ibiza - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:09
- WATCH: All Blacks rugby stars perform haka in Spain’s Alhambra - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:51
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior docks in Malaga to push for action on climate change - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 11:24
- Mystery masturbator back as sicko breaks into vehicles on Spain’s Mallorca and leaves semen all over the seat - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- SOUTHERN COMFORTS: Why it’s not just the infamous Atlantic wind that keeps the Costa de la Luz so spiritually chilled - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 09:00