MARBELLA Town Hall has reached an agreement with Marbella Kite Club for a new kitesurfing zone at Playa los Monteros.
The agreement with the 250-member-strong club sees the creation of a permanent 300-metre area along the beach which will act as a home for the sport.
The agreement is yet to be ratified by the Junta, and comes after kitesurfers demanded a safe area to practice their pastime.
New decking, showers, toilets, drying areas and proper designation of the surfing channels are all set to be included in the plans.
For around a decade kitesurfers had previously been forced to use the Rio Real area, which was flanked by dangerous rocks.
This location meant local schools could not take part in the sport, while kitesurfing newcomers were also put off.
These plans for Marbella should see it grow in popularity among kitesurfers, in the same way the sport’s hotspot of Tarifa has.
David Gallardo, secretary of Marbella Kite Club, highlighted the ‘the high purchasing power of the kite-surfers and the economic impact that their presence has on the city’.
Negotiations between the club and local council have been tough after they first began back in 2008.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33