MARBELLA Town Hall has reached an agreement with Marbella Kite Club for a new kitesurfing zone at Playa los Monteros.
The agreement with the 250-member-strong club sees the creation of a permanent 300-metre area along the beach which will act as a home for the sport.
The agreement is yet to be ratified by the Junta, and comes after kitesurfers demanded a safe area to practice their pastime.
New decking, showers, toilets, drying areas and proper designation of the surfing channels are all set to be included in the plans.
For around a decade kitesurfers had previously been forced to use the Rio Real area, which was flanked by dangerous rocks.
This location meant local schools could not take part in the sport, while kitesurfing newcomers were also put off.
These plans for Marbella should see it grow in popularity among kitesurfers, in the same way the sport’s hotspot of Tarifa has.
David Gallardo, secretary of Marbella Kite Club, highlighted the ‘the high purchasing power of the kite-surfers and the economic impact that their presence has on the city’.
Negotiations between the club and local council have been tough after they first began back in 2008.
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35