LEGENDARY British comic Freddie Starr has passed away at his Andalucian home.
The notorious comedian was found dead at his Costa del Sol apartment by his carer at 3.30pm today.
The British funny man moved to Spain a few years ago after living a famous controversial life in England in which he appeared on the Royal Variety Performance and TV show Opportunity Knocks.
Starr, 76, who appeared in I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! had deteriorated rapidly after allegations of sex abuse and groping made his career untenable.
The comedian, who was arrested as part of operation Yew Tree, ended having to pay a large libel out to an alleged victim.
He told the Olive Press in 2015 he was ‘shaking hands with the devil’ when he arrived at his La Cala Hills bolthole as he showed his scars on his chest from his quadruple heart bypass.
The depressed star poured his heart out as his poor health and financial situation had sparked his move to Spain.
He told the Olive Press: “I’m very down, I’ve been up there and I’ve shook hands with God, and I’ve come down here and I’ve shook hands with the devil.
“I always come out here when things go bad, it wasn’t a matter of planning anything.
“I didn’t run away because of the court case.
“If you haven’t got socks, you can’t pull them up – I’ve got no money.
“I used to be the biggest paid person in Britain for 15 years but all of a sudden it has stopped.”
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27