A MAN has been arrested on suspicion of murdering his wife, after he fled to Alicante airport.
The suspect is thought to have killed the 42-year-old woman who was found in her bed, naked and with a rose on her chest.
The events happened Thursday night, before the man bought a plane ticket to his and his wife’s native Ecuador.
Guardia Civil officers who attended the house in Torre-Pacheco believed the woman had been suffocated, but an autopsy has not yet been carried out.
The woman’s friends notified police after she did not come into work, but there were no indications prior to her death that she was at risk from sexist violence.
She had, however, denounced her husband in 2009 for an assault, and subsequently received a restraining order that expired in October 2010.
The suspected killer is now in custody, while residents in Murcia have now held a minute’s silence for his wife.
If confirmed as a case of macho violence, it would be the first in Murcia this year, and the 20th across Spain.
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35