SPANISH emergency services have responded to a cargo ship on fire near the island of Mallorca, while crew members attempt to beat back the blaze.
The Italian-flagged vehicle transport ship ‘Grande Europa’ has caught fire 25 miles south of Palma and fourteen crew have been evacuated thus far.
According to rescue services, two helicopters and three boats have been deployed to assist the operation.
It is not yet clear what has caused the fire.
The 20-year-old freighter had left Sardinia in Italy and was bound for Spain’s port city of Valencia
- DAYLIGHT ROBBERY: Crackdown sees nearly 20% of Palma’s terraces closed, leaving Mallorca expat owners struggling to make ends meet - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:32
- OPINION: War on Terraces - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:30
- Toddler fighting for her life after swallowing ecstasy in Spain’s Ibiza - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:09
- WATCH: All Blacks rugby stars perform haka in Spain’s Alhambra - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:51
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior docks in Malaga to push for action on climate change - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 11:24
- Mystery masturbator back as sicko breaks into vehicles on Spain’s Mallorca and leaves semen all over the seat - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- SOUTHERN COMFORTS: Why it’s not just the infamous Atlantic wind that keeps the Costa de la Luz so spiritually chilled - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 09:00