SPANISH emergency services have responded to a cargo ship on fire near the island of Mallorca, while crew members attempt to beat back the blaze.
The Italian-flagged vehicle transport ship ‘Grande Europa’ has caught fire 25 miles south of Palma and fourteen crew have been evacuated thus far.
According to rescue services, two helicopters and three boats have been deployed to assist the operation.
It is not yet clear what has caused the fire.
The 20-year-old freighter had left Sardinia in Italy and was bound for Spain’s port city of Valencia
- AND THEY’RE OFF: Expats across Spain head to the polls - 26 May, 2019 @ 15:34
- OPINION: The shock verdict that sees Westley Capper and Craig Porter ‘walk free’ is an insult to Agnese Klavina’s family - 25 May, 2019 @ 13:00
- ISIS video threatens tourists in Spain after death of British ‘punk rock jihadi’ - 24 May, 2019 @ 14:45
- ‘I HAVE DONE MY BEST’: Tearful Theresa May resigns as UK Prime Minister - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:57
- British woman dies on UK-bound flight at Mallorca airport moments before take-off - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:29
- Judge allows convicted British criminal to go on Spain holiday after taser and cocaine bust - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:56
- Mystery buzzing leads couple in southern Spain to 80,000 bees in their bedroom wall - 21 May, 2019 @ 10:58
- British toddler badly hurt in cliff fall after ‘slipping from mother’s arms’ at Mallorca beach - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:38
- British holidaymaker drowns off Costa del Sol while swimming at popular expat beach - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- British father fights for life in Spain after fall onto Costa del Sol motorway - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:11