THE Public Prosecutor’s Office has expressed ‘serious concern’ over the rise in murders on the Costa del Sol.
In 2018 the Malaga institution opened 95 preliminary murder hearings, a 44% rise on the previous year, and 61% more than four years ago.
Meanwhile assassinations or ‘intentional homicides’ in the province rose from 52 in 2017 to 65 last year, a 25% increase.
- EXCLUSIVE: Shooting outside luxury Marbella nightclub leaves two ‘drug cartel members’ injured
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized
- NARCO WARS: Thousands arrested and hundreds of tonnes of drugs seized in Andalucia last year as battle between mafias and police rages on
The Public Ministry added that criminals, including those involved in the hashish trade with Morocco, act ‘without fear’.
Explosives used by ‘narco terrorists’ in ‘score-settling’ between rival gangs was also highlighted by the Ministry, as a concerning trend.
October was a particularly bloody month, as narco and bombmaker Hamza Ziani was also slaughtered in sushi restaurant in Torremolinos.
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35