A BRITISH tourist has died while swimming off a popular resort in Spain after waving frantically for help.
The 51-year-old had to be helped from the water by Carvajal beach in Fuengirola after onlookers called police and alerted paramedics.
Efforts to save the man through CPR failed and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
A witness said: “He was chest-high in the water and appeared to lose consciousness after waving his arms and asking for help.”
Carvajal beach is popular with families and is known as a clean beach with calm water.
An emergency services spokesman said: “A foreign man has been brought out of the water and attempts were being made to revive him.
“Police and medical responders were mobilised and made efforts to save his life but he was pronounced dead at the scene.”
The man has not been named.
- British holidaymaker drowns off Costa del Sol while swimming at popular expat beach - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- British father fights for life in Spain after fall onto Costa del Sol motorway - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:11
- Football shirts recycled into hospital gowns in Spain to help sick children face their ‘hardest match’ - 16 May, 2019 @ 17:20
- Madrid airport faces Champions League final ‘chaos’ with 150,000 British fans set for Spain - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:53
- Rescue operation under way as cargo ship catches fire off Spain’s Mallorca - 15 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- Wife of crooked British fraudster mocks scam victims in holiday pic from Spain’s Costa Blanca - 15 May, 2019 @ 11:27
- ‘Sequinned C**T’ – British comic Ricky Gervais slams Spanish matador who wiped tears from dying bull - 14 May, 2019 @ 16:11
- Appeal launched for Irish woman missing in Spain as twin sister found ‘very traumatised’ in hospital - 14 May, 2019 @ 13:25
- WATCH: Matador wipes away ‘tears’ of dying bull in a ‘perverse’ move slammed by Spain’s animal rights group - 14 May, 2019 @ 11:30
- OPINION: British fraud victims in Spain can be hopeful after MPs – who never agree on anything – lend support - 13 May, 2019 @ 12:04