A GROUP of 10 people have each been fined €8,600 for making a stew out of protected birds on a beach.
A well-known businessman is among the hunting clan, caught after Guardia Civil agents smelt the stewing meat from a cliff.
One hunter even ‘had the spoon in his hand’, a court heard as the maximum fines for hunting and cooking protected birds were issued.
The 10 men were convicted of killing grey shearwaters in Lanzarote in 2015, while the ‘near-threatened’ birds were in nesting season.
The group’s lawyers claimed the meat was lamb, but judges said that defence was ‘not at all credible’, as officers had run DNA tests on the illegal meal.
A further nine men were acquitted from the case, as it could not be proved that they were involved in the hunting or cooking of the birds, known in Spain as ‘pardela’.
Guardia Civil officers who docked on the islet of Alegranza, where the incident happened said the men had set up a tent, a portable kitchen and a table.
Cops snapped pictures of the empty nests of the birds, while noting that one of the defendants had ‘nodded in shame’ in shame when asked if he was eating pardela.
There has been a ban on hunting and eating the birds since 1986.
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00