SPAIN’S Women’s World Cup dreams have ended as the USA scraped a 2-1 victory, knocking them out of the competition.
Megan Rapinoe put away two spot kicks to help the tournament favourites set up a dream tie against hosts France in the quarterfinals.
But cup-holders, the USA, were tested in the game at Stade Auguste-Delaune in Reims, after Spain’s Jennifer Hermoso equalised brilliantly minutes after the first goal.
However Spain felt aggrieved after Jill Ellis’ side were awarded a ‘soft’ second penalty via VAR, after Rose Lavelle went down in the box.
The USA took the lead inside 10 minutes after referee Katalin Kulcsar awarded a penalty as Tobin Heath was brought down in the area.
Star midfielder Rapinoe slotted the ball into the far left hand corner of the Spanish goal beyond a sprawling Sandra Paños.
But minutes later it was all square as Jorge Vilda’s side made it 1-1 through a superb Hermoso strike.
The Spanish forward capitalised on a defensive mix-up and lifted the ball high into the net from 30 yards out.
Spain then took the game to the three-time champions, before Kulcsar gave the second USA penalty in the 75th minute.
Rapinoe stepped up and again dispatched the spot kick into a similar area of the goal, with Paños almost getting fingertips to the ball this time.
Meanwhile, Phil Neville’s England side have also progressed to the last 8 following a 3-0 win over Cameroon, that was marred with controversy.
RefereeQin Liang twice overruled VAR calls in the last-16 clash to prevent the African side abandoning the match, while Lionesses winger Toni Duggan was even spat on by Augustine Ejangue.
- American football star caught jumping over bulls at Spain’s San Fermin as veterans SLAM festival as ‘TOO SAFE’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:30
- Young woman arrested after ‘stabbing man in face with fork’ in Gibraltar’s Ocean Village - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:02
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16
- Iconic castle on Spain’s Costa del Sol is FINALLY being repaired - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 09:14
- WATCH: Spanish school teacher’s vile RACIST rant at black British men on Spain train, calling them ‘monkeys’ and ‘f**king Africans’ - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 10:03
- Environmental group names and shames 19 Costa del Sol beaches as among worst in Spain - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:01
- Spain’s Government SEIZES former dictator General Franco’s €5 million summer palace over its ‘fraudulent’ sale - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- Jennifer Lopez to perform on Spain’s Costa del Sol for her 50th birthday - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Marbella mayor invites Barack Obama back to Costa del Sol to play golf - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 11:36