17 Aug, 2026 @ 16:43
1 min read

Malaga bans swimming at six beaches after E. coli bacteria found in the water

Malaga Beach
All beach bathing spots in Spain’s Andalucia meet water quality levels

MALAGA has banned swimming at six beaches across the city after water samples revealed dangerous levels of E. coli bacteria.

Campo de Golf-San Julian, Guadalmar, La Misericordia, Sacaba, San Andres and El Palo all have red flags flying.

Between them, the closures cover almost the entire Malaga city coastline, running from the airport in the west to El Palo, the historic fishing district on the eastern seafront.

The samples were taken on Sunday, August 16, by Emasa, the city’s municipal water company, which found bacteria concentrations above the safe threshold set by Spanish law.

READ MORE: Three Benalmadena beaches reopen after bathers hit by mystery skin reactions – but two remain shut

E. coli is a bacteria linked to sewage contamination that can trigger stomach upsets and infections in swimmers who ingest or come into contact with affected water.

The Malaga town hall says the spike follows overflow releases from the sewage network, triggered by the storm that struck the city in the early hours of Saturday, August 15.

Four of the six beaches — San Julian, La Misericordia, Sacaba and San Andres — had already been flying red flags since Saturday over the same storm-related discharges.

READ MORE: Popular Costa Blanca beach has swimming ban imposed due to water quality concerns

Emasa called them ‘brief, low-volume’ discharges at the time, while beach-cleaning crews spent the weekend clearing debris from the shoreline.

Green flags were restored at San Julian, La Misericordia and Sacaba on Sunday morning, only for Sunday’s fresh water samples to force the closures straight back.

Under Spain’s bathing water safety standards, councils must ban swimming or warn against it whenever bacteria readings breach the safe threshold, and keep testing until levels recover.

The town hall says further analysis will continue over the coming days to track the bacteria levels, but it has not given a timeframe for when any of the six beaches might reopen.

READ MORE: Marbella beaches reopen for swimming after fecal bacteria scare

Malaga is not the only Costa del Sol town affected.

Benalmadena shut five of its own beaches to swimming on Sunday — Las Gaviotas, Bil-Bil, Arroyo de la Miel, Santa Ana and Los Melilleros — after around 20 swimmers reported skin reactions.

The Benalmadena town hall has raised its own red flags as a precaution while it investigates possible contamination there too.

Bil Bil, Arroyo de la Miel and Los Melilleros reopened from midday on Monday, while Santa Ana and Las Gaviotas remains closed.

Click here to read more Malaga News from The Olive Press.

Walter Finch, is the Digital Editor of the Olive Press and occasional roaming photographer who started out at the Daily Mail.
Born in London but having lived in six countries, he is well-travelled and worldly. He studied Philosophy at the University of Birmingham and earned his NCTJ diploma in journalism from London's renowned News Associates during the Covid era.
He got his first break working on the Foreign News desk of the Daily Mail's online arm, where he also helped out on the video desk due to previous experience as a camera operator and filmmaker.
He then decided to escape the confines of London and returned to Spain in 2022, having previously lived in Barcelona for many years.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Benalmadena Beach. Malaga, Andalusia, Spain
Previous Story

Three Benalmadena beaches reopen after bathers hit by mystery skin reactions – but two remain shut

Next Story

Teenage boy, 16, shot dead in Huelva family massacre was ‘innocent bystander with no link to narco clan feud’

Benalmadena Beach. Malaga, Andalusia, Spain
Previous Story

Three Benalmadena beaches reopen after bathers hit by mystery skin reactions – but two remain shut

Next Story

Teenage boy, 16, shot dead in Huelva family massacre was ‘innocent bystander with no link to narco clan feud’

Latest from Health

Create a free account, or log in.

Gain access to read this article, plus limited free content.

Yes! I would like to receive new content and updates.

Go toTop