17 Aug, 2026 @ 16:30
1 min read

Three Benalmadena beaches reopen after bathers hit by mystery skin reactions – but two remain shut

Benalmadena Beach. Malaga, Andalusia, Spain
Scenic view of beach in Benalmadena town. Malaga, Andalusia, Spain

THREE beaches in Benalmadena have reopened to swimmers after a mystery skin reaction left around 20 bathers affected over the weekend, while two others stay closed.

Bil Bil, Arroyo de la Miel and Los Melilleros reopened from midday on Monday, once water samples taken by the Junta came back within legal limits.

Santa Ana and Las Gaviotas remain off-limits, after tests at those two beaches returned results outside the safe threshold.

READ MORE: Solar eclipse fever grips Spain again as Costa del Sol hotel prices skyrocket ahead of 2027 spectacle

Benalmadena town hall closed all five beaches on Sunday as a precaution, once it became aware of roughly 20 cases of skin reactions among bathers, though it says it has had no reports of further cases since.

The Junta has not yet released its own figure for how many people were affected.

What actually caused the reactions is still not known.

READ MORE: Six Dutch mafia members jailed on Costa del Sol for kidnap and torture plot over €3m in stolen cocaine

The joint investigation between the town hall and the Junta’s health department is looking at two possible origins: a biological one, such as certain types of algae, and one of a ‘chemical nature’, according to a municipal statement.

Acosol, the public utility that supplies water and manages sewage for Benalmadena and ten other Costa del Sol municipalities, says there has been no fault in its network, ruling out a repeat of the burst water main that left the sea stained near Bil Bil and the Sunset Beach area in May 2025.

READ MORE: What to do if you encounter a disease-carrying wild boar on the Costa del Sol, according to medical professionals

The test expected to settle the cause has to be carried out outside Malaga province and will not be back for ‘several days,’ Diario Sur has reported, citing sources close to the case.

Until then, Santa Ana and Las Gaviotas stay red-flagged, with no date yet set for them to reopen, in the middle of the Costa del Sol’s peak summer season.

Click here to read more Costa Del Sol News from The Olive Press.

Walter Finch, is the Digital Editor of the Olive Press and occasional roaming photographer who started out at the Daily Mail.
Born in London but having lived in six countries, he is well-travelled and worldly. He studied Philosophy at the University of Birmingham and earned his NCTJ diploma in journalism from London's renowned News Associates during the Covid era.
He got his first break working on the Foreign News desk of the Daily Mail's online arm, where he also helped out on the video desk due to previous experience as a camera operator and filmmaker.
He then decided to escape the confines of London and returned to Spain in 2022, having previously lived in Barcelona for many years.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Story

Marbella police officer rushed to hospital after accidentally shooting himself in the leg

Previous Story

Marbella police officer rushed to hospital after accidentally shooting himself in the leg

Latest from Costa del Sol

Create a free account, or log in.

Gain access to read this article, plus limited free content.

Yes! I would like to receive new content and updates.

Go toTop