THE number of fatalities in cases of domestic violence in Spain this year continues to grow after three women died in as many days this month.
Fifty-eight women have so far been killed in 2006 – four less than last year’s total of 62.
In the most recent, an Argentine man strangled his partner, 29, after an argument in the house they shared in Jaén on October 12.
According to the police, 34- year-old MJO contacted his lawyer immediately after killing REV, a primary school
teacher, explaining what he had just done.
Police went to the house in the Puerta Tablas area of the city and found the body of the victim lying in a bedroom.
Neighbours said they regularly heard the couple arguing.
Meanwhile, police in Castellón on the east coast of Spain have confirmed a 29- year-old man who shot dead
his wife before turning the gun on himself was receiving treatment for depression.
The husband’s mother found the two bodies in the house in which they lived in Cabanes after worried colleagues of the man had called her after he had not shown up for work on October 10.
The couple had only been married for six months.
A day earlier in Gerona in Cataluña, a man sprayed his three-month pregnant wife with petrol before setting her alight.
Thirty-year-old SSVR, was taken to the Valle Hebrón hospital in Barcelona with 97 per cent burns to her body. She died a day later.
Her husband, 32-year-old MSB, is fighting for his life in the intensive care unit of the same hospital after setting himself alight and jumping from the balcony of the first floor flat they shared in the Calonge area of the city.
- Expat female chef chases off machete-wielding robbers - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 06:00
- People who study are healthier - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 05:30
- Poet Carlos Pranger: The new Brenan - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 05:00
- Spanish women are having fewer children - 17 Mar, 2011 @ 07:15
- Pill bargaining - 17 Mar, 2011 @ 07:00
- Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum set to open in Malaga - 16 Mar, 2011 @ 08:00
- Spain complains about Gibraltar landfill plans - 16 Mar, 2011 @ 08:00
- Operation nuclear clean-up - 15 Mar, 2011 @ 08:30
- Sevilla royal visit for Prince Charles and Camilla - 14 Mar, 2011 @ 10:56
- Ruffled feathers in Ronda - 14 Mar, 2011 @ 08:45