- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
CIA reveals Franco nuclear plans
January 27, 2008
• LAST EDITED:
January 27, 2008
National News • 0 Comments
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
DICTATOR Francisco Franco wanted to develop a nuclear arms programme to consolidate Spain’s international standing, according to a declassified report by the CIA.
In the document, which is dated May 17, 1974 but only recently made public, Spain was under close scrutiny from the US after the security agency discovered the plans.
The dictator wanted to build a uranium enrichment plant to develop nuclear weapons, the 50-page report claims.
Spain, had its nuclear plans not been scrapped, would have tested any nuclear bomb in the Sahara Desert, the CIA believes.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]