THE Olive Press has been singled out as ‘the best’ English-language publication in southern Spain, by the prestigious Rough Guides group.
The latest version of the comprehensive guide to Andalucia – now in its sixth edition – praises the paper for both its campaigning and content.
In its media section on the region it writes that ‘the best of the bunch is the Olive Press, a fortnightly paper which often campaigns on local and regional issues.’
The Olive Press meanwhile got a series of mentions in the UK papers last week.
Apart from a number of Irish papers following up on our incisive story on the sad and lonely life of missing teen Amy Fitzpatrick (see front page), we got a mention in the Financial Times.
It came in an article written by journalist Mark Jones, who earlier this year won a controversial 50,000 euro prize from Torremolinos town hall for promoting the resort in the British Airways High Life magazine.
“The Olive Press meanwhile got a series of mentions in the UK papers last week”.
Jones wrote: “The prize has got quite a debate going, not least among the large British population in southern Spain.”
“Torremolinos is about as authentic as McDonald’s,” said one blogger.
“The editor of the Olive Press, a campaigning English paper, came to my aid: “It’s a wonderful town,” he wrote. “Scratch away at the shallow surface of euro-a-pint bars and all-day English breakfasts, and you have a damn fine place to visit with fine Spanish, non-pretentious places to drink and eat.”
But, as our readers already know, the Olive Press does not believe in stereotypes.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00