THE Olive Press has been singled out as ‘the best’ English-language publication in southern Spain, by the prestigious Rough Guides group.
The latest version of the comprehensive guide to Andalucia – now in its sixth edition – praises the paper for both its campaigning and content.
In its media section on the region it writes that ‘the best of the bunch is the Olive Press, a fortnightly paper which often campaigns on local and regional issues.’
The Olive Press meanwhile got a series of mentions in the UK papers last week.
Apart from a number of Irish papers following up on our incisive story on the sad and lonely life of missing teen Amy Fitzpatrick (see front page), we got a mention in the Financial Times.
It came in an article written by journalist Mark Jones, who earlier this year won a controversial 50,000 euro prize from Torremolinos town hall for promoting the resort in the British Airways High Life magazine.
“The Olive Press meanwhile got a series of mentions in the UK papers last week”.
Jones wrote: “The prize has got quite a debate going, not least among the large British population in southern Spain.”
“Torremolinos is about as authentic as McDonald’s,” said one blogger.
“The editor of the Olive Press, a campaigning English paper, came to my aid: “It’s a wonderful town,” he wrote. “Scratch away at the shallow surface of euro-a-pint bars and all-day English breakfasts, and you have a damn fine place to visit with fine Spanish, non-pretentious places to drink and eat.”
But, as our readers already know, the Olive Press does not believe in stereotypes.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00