A BRITISH paedophile, arrested on the Costa del Sol after being spotted on Crimewatch, has been sentenced to six years in prison.
Glen Tranter, 41, from Lancashire, pleaded guilty to four counts of indecent assault and another four of sexual activity with a child, at Preston Crown Court.
But his former boss Trevor Rowan, 47, who shopped Tranter in April this year, told the Olive Press he should have got longer.
“Six years just isn’t long enough,” he insisted. “He is a sick individual and deserves far longer.”
Rowan, who moved to Spain from Northern Ireland three years ago, met Tranter when he came into his bar Slippers in Benalmadena last September looking for work.
“He became a regular customer and started to do taxi work even though he was a wee bit simple,” he explained.
“After a while he fell out with his landlord and even moved in with me and my girlfriend Belinda.”
But then one evening after he had closed the bar he got a string of calls from friends saying they had seen Tranter on Crimewatch.
He went straight to the police, where he identified photos of his new flatmate and gave a statement.
He explained: “When I came back to the apartment he was just sitting there having a Sunday dinner.
“He denied everything but I told him to pack his bags and gave him the choice of either going into the bar and facing all the people who had recognised him, or going to the police and he chose to go to the police.
“When we got to the station in Arroyo he was crying like a baby and he admitted to me that he was a paedophile.
“He really should have got longer,” added Rowan.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00