- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Breton did not threaten Ruth and Jose’s mother, says lawyer
• Jose Breton's lawyer at a press conference this week
By Eloise Horsfield
THE lawyer of Jose Breton Gomez, who is being held in relation to the disappearance of his two children in a Cordoba park on October 8, has criticised the motives behind his client’s detention.
Jose Maria Sanchez de Puerta denied suggestions that his client told his wife she would not see their children again if she separated from him.
According to Sanchez, Breton simply said he would fight for the custody of Ruth Breton Ortiz, six, and her brother Jose, two, after their break-up.
The couple separated a month before the children’s disappearance and had agreed for their mother to look after them during the week and their father at weekends.
“He never threatened her,” said Sanchez at a press conference this week, criticising the alleged threat as a motive for keeping his client in prison.
Breton is being held because of “a motive that he had apparently communicated” – presumably relating to the alleged threat mentioned above – as well as “serious indications that lead to the possible participation” of Breton in the disppearance of his children.
But lawyer Sanchez said that “apparently” is not enough, and that any doubt should go in favour of the accused.
Breton’s side of the story is that he lost sight of the siblings for a moment in a park in Cordoba.
But while CCTV footage of the park from October 8 shows Breton talking to a security guard after the children vanished, there is no footage of him with the children and no witnesses saw him in the park with the youngsters.
And a wide scale search has been underway ever since but the children have still not been found.
Meanwhile, following Sanchez de Puerta’s claims earlier this week that his client is bipolar, a friend of the children’s mother has confirmed that Breton had not been diagnosed with any mental illness at the time of the their disappearance.
She added that Breton had always been a devoted father to Ruth and Jose.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
Police make two record drug hauls in one week…