- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
A deep discovery in Huercal-Overa
• VAST: The hidden cavity
A MASSIVE fossilised cave has been discovered in Huercal-Overa.
The Sima del Campico, found by five local potholers, is the largest cave found in the area to date.
According to the group – who are remaining tight-lipped about its exact whereabouts until it has been catalogued by the authorities – the hard to reach cave is 60 metres deep and over 150 and 200 metres long.
It consists mostly of limestone but there are numerous fossils and stalagmites.
“It was not a complete fluke as we have been looking for something like this for a long time,” explained Juan Luis Fernandez, one of the group.
“Being locals there is a lot of personal satisfaction in having found a cave like this in our own town,” he added.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others