BRITISH detectives are probing sensational claims that a grave containing the remains of Madeleine McCann has been found in the holiday resort where she went missing.
A self-styled investigator, Stephen Birch, has handed radar scans to Scotland Yard showing an apparent burial site in the Portuguese town of Praia da Luz.
Officers have requested more information to help them interpret the scan results and other data collected by the ground-penetrating scanner.
Birch – who claims to have spent €50,000 on the scanner and being trained to use it – has also passed his findings to Portuguese police in the hope of locating the missing toddler.
“All I want to do is solve the mystery and bring closure to Madeleine’s family. I am convinced she lies where I have scanned,” said the South African property developer.
“I’ve had the scans analysed and they show digging, a void and what could be human bones.”
Madeleine’s parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, refused to comment on the claims.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02