- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Gibraltar rejects ranking as worst environmental offender
• The Rock is a major bunkering location for fuel
By James Bryce
GIBRALTAR has dismissed ‘misleading’ claims that it has the highest per capita carbon emissions in the world.
The Rock topped a survey by the US Energy Information Administration, which measured petroleum consumption by each country relative to its population.
But Gibraltar’s health minister Dr John Cortes claimed the figures were ‘a misrepresentation of the reality’.
He said the survey failed to consider the Rock’s role as a major bunkering location for fuel used by the shipping industry.
“The majority of (bunker) fuel sales in Gibraltar are not consumed nationally but form part of the international shipping industry,” he said.
“When this figure is divided by the small population (approximately 28,000), we naturally appear to be the worst in the world.”
He added: “The world carbon emissions league table is misleading, reducing its value as a tool for climate change mitigation.”
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others