- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Spanish jewel to be auctioned at Sotheby’s
• The precious jewel recovered from a sunken Spanish galleon
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A precious jewel recovered from a Spanish galleon which sank off the US coast is to be auctioned at Sotheby’s.
The Renaissance Colombian emerald-set gold jewel is expected to fetch up to €190,000 when it goes under the hammer in New York on February 1.
The valuable piece was part of an impressive haul of treasure salvaged from the 17th century ship Nuestra Senora de Atocha which sank in a hurricane in 1622.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]