THEY are a familiar sight along Spanish beaches throughout the summer and never fail to make tourists stand out like a sore thumb.
Now a survey of the biggest fashion faux pas has confirmed what we’ve all long suspected – that there is never a scenario where socks and sandals are an acceptable combination.
An online poll by British department store Debenhams revealed the fashion crime to be the ultimate no-no in the eyes of the 1,500 people who cast their vote.
This was closely followed by platform shoes for men and low slung trousers.
Perhaps surprisingly, the ultimate 80s gear, bum bags and shell suits, came only seventh and eighth on the list.
Velour tracksuits and harems were fourth and fifth, with trucker hats and scrunchies the other items to feature in the top 10.
Despite recent attempts by celebrities including David Beckham, Sarah Jessica Parker and Jake Gyllenhaal to make the look seem acceptable, it seems the British public are resisting the move.
“Socks and sandals are the epitome of British summer style gone wrong,” said Debenhams spokesman Ed Watson.
“The fashion crowd might have classed it as en vogue but our customers have voted it the worst look of all time.”
He added: “It might look chic on a catwalk but this isn’t a look that many of us want to see on our local high streets.”
- Goya museum in trouble - 13 Aug, 2013 @ 10:00
- Kids’ cardiac threat - 11 Aug, 2013 @ 10:08
- Football match abandoned at World Police and Fire Games - 10 Aug, 2013 @ 10:52
- The last of the Spanish Nazis - 10 Aug, 2013 @ 10:03
- Buena Vista baile - 10 Aug, 2013 @ 09:02
- Sotogrande celebrates half a century - 9 Aug, 2013 @ 15:16
- Staying safe on Spain’s roads - 9 Aug, 2013 @ 12:10
- Snoop Dogg rolls in - 9 Aug, 2013 @ 09:17
- British woman gives birth to biggest baby ever born naturally in Spain - 8 Aug, 2013 @ 14:57
- Keira Knightly takes Spanish vacation - 8 Aug, 2013 @ 12:34