- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
Ecce Homo church priest faces sex charges
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A PRIEST at the controversial Sanctuary of Mercy church has been charged with fraud and alleged sexual assault.
Florencio Garces, 70, is one of six men to have been arrested by the Civil Guard as part of a fraud investigation.
He has been charged with embezzlement of €210,000, money laundering and a string of sexual offences.
The church hit the headlines following a botched renovation of a painting of Jesus Christ, named Ecce Homo, carried out by local artist Cecilia Gimenez.
The 80-year-old earned herself the title of the worst restorer in history and a bold, if brutal, restorer of other people´s works.
The picture became a laughing stock and a well-established internet meme.
The church – in Borja, Zaragoza – has since cashed in on the painting’s new popularity and has started charging visitors – it raised €2,000 in the first week.
Tourists have continued to flock to the church, boosting the church’s coffers by around €50,000.
A lawyer for the priest said the charges were unrelated to the Ecce Homo incident.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]