A CONTROVERSIAL Spanish MEP has been appointed as the EU’s new energy and climate commissioner.
Miguel Arias Canete was handed the key role as Russia slashed gas supplies to the Ukraine.
The Spanish MEP was mired in controversy after sexist comments he made during a political debate went viral.
Incoming European Commission President Jean Claude-Juncker picked the 64-year-old Spaniard with French and British politicians taking positions in economic affairs and financial services respectively.
The move boosts Spain’s numbers in the European governing body and could allow the country’s ruling party to push for the Iberian Peninsula to replace Russia as Europe’s main gas supplier.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05