MARBELLA has officially bidded to host the next Davis Cup tie between Spain and Great Britain.
Mayor Angeles Munoz and Sports Councillor Javier Merida travelled to Madrid on Thursday to present the town’s candidacy to the Spanish Tennis Federation.
The tie will take place from February 2 to 4.
If the bid is successful, the tie will take place at the Puente Romana hotel, which has agreed to build additional stands to accommodate the crowds.
The proposal argued that Marbella will have optimum temperatures and is surrounded by thousands of hotel beds while being just 40 minutes from Malaga airport.
Spain and the UK are considered to be among the biggest competitors in the Davis Cup.
If their star players commit to next year’s tournament, it would see two teams lead by Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray, meaning the world no.1 and no.2 would battle it out in one of the singles matches.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15