SPAIN is to roll out more than 220 roadside cameras that can detect whether or not drivers are wearing seatbelts or using their phones.
Some 50 were setup yesterday, with 227 penned across the country.
They will fine offenders €200, with the last two month trial resulting in 331 fines being issued.
Once a car has been detected as having a driver not wearing a seatbelt, the owner of the vehicle will receive a request in the post to identify the driver from the photograph taken.
If a passenger appears in the photograph, their face is pixelated, so that they are not identified.
The driver will be fined €200 and will have three points deducted from their licence.
If the vehicle owner fails to name the driver, a penalty fine will be issued.
The majority of the cameras (60%) are on roads with the highest accident rates in the country, while the rest are on the busiest roads.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15