POLICE have confirmed a seventh person is wanted in connection with an alleged case of real estate intimidation in Granada.
Six people were arrested earlier this month after an elderly couple had complained to police they were being forced out of the flat they have lived in for the last 35 years.
Police are investigating claims the six – who include two lawyers and the manager of a real estate company – tried to force out the residents of a block of flats in the Zaidín area of the city to sell the property at a high price to a construction company.
The owner of the block of flats and two Romanian nationals, who were allegedly among 30 people employed to intimidate the residents of number 17 Callejón Angel, were also held.
The seventh person police want to question is believed to be a Granada resident who acted as guarantor for the two Romanians when they signed a rental contract to live in a flat on the third floor of the block in 2004.
According to the elderly couple, the two Romanians soon had up to 28 countrymen living with them who subjected existing residents to physical and verbal abuse. Many were forced to move away, complaining
of the harassment, noise and dirt that had accumulated in the block.
The only remaining residents are the elderly couple, both 84, and a 78-year-old neighbour, all of whom pay a low rent fixed by law each month.
Police are also investigating claims those arrested are part of a network dedicated to forcing people who live in prime locations of a town or city to leave their homes. The block of flats is metres away from the congress palace near the centre of Granada.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27