IN the run-up to the ski season, the slopes of the Sierra Nevada are alive with activity.
Centursa, the management company of the ski station has committed to a December 1st opening of the ski slopes, weather permitting.
In the meantime, fifty snow cannons have been put into action in order to create enough of the lucrative white stuff to please skiers and snow-boarders in a week’s time. The slopes Principiantes, Perdiz, Zorro and El Río are experiencing a flurry of artificial snow around the clock.
The success of the operation is dependent on weather conditions; the sierra needs plenty of cloud to keep temperatures below zero in order to maintain the artificial snow.
Three workers were injured after falling from the metal structure of a ski-lift in the Sierra Nevada whilst carrying out maintenance works in preparation for the new season. The accident, which took place in Borreguiles, was attributed to high winds in the region.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00